Subject: Re: problems with my firewall proxy servers.
To: James T. Nelson <JNelson@wiai.com>
From: Martin Randall <marrandy@chaossolutions.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/21/2000 15:33:35
Hello James

On 21-Jun-00, you wrote:

Proxy servers (excuse my french) are a bitch.

Don't use them.

I spent 2+ years using wingate, a proxy server.

I run several OS's and always had problems.

No-one gave me any info that solved my problems despite the numerous
attempts to illicit info on proxy-servers on different mailing lists and
usegroups.

Get a standard fireall/nat.

If you have an old 496DX33 with 16MB ram, use LRP.

The best place is:-

#http://lrp.steinkuehler.net#

You'll find that everything just works...as advertized.

Yes...I realize that it doesn't answer the question....But I found that I
hit every proxy-server web site and mailing list plus all the other
firewall sites and mailing lists and no-one had a clue about solving any of
the problems.

With LRP, everything worked, as opposed to being broken.

Your mileage may vary, but I wasted 2.5 years of annoyance and frustration
trying to get things to work. That held me back. Now everything works fine
!!!

If you ever get anything to work then let me know.

> I am having problems getting through a Windows NT proxy server as well.
>
> Any illumination here greatly appreciated.
>
> Jim Nelson

Regards