Subject: Re: Hot Dog!!!
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/21/2000 02:56:58
On 20 Jun 2000, Petra Hofmann wrote:

> 1.  configure the 3c905 to log on to network.  dhcp is starting as client.

Simply "touch /etc/dhclient.conf", set "dhclient=YES" in /etc/rc.conf, and
run "dchlient", or reboot. A more detailed howto may be found at
<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/dhcp.html>.

> 2.  Print to networked HP 4050tn.  I'm hoping I can config the spooler to send
> tcp/ip packets to the Extreme Networks vines print server.

There should be an example "Remote Printer Entry" in /etc/printcap. If
not, you can check the current version of the file on ftp.netbsd.org or
cvsweb
<http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/basesrc/etc/printcap?annotate=1.4.4.2>.
Note, whatever spool directory you use has to exist -- "mkdir -p
/var/spool/lpd/4050tn", for example.

> 3.  Install GCC+ so I can start writing my programs with the compiler.

If you haven't already installed the comp set, "cd /; tar xzvpf
.../comp.tgz".

> 4.  Figure out where the pkgsrc file is as the cdrom from Bob Nestor is
> supposed to have complete set of packages on it.

Couldn't say, but if it's in standard release format, it'll be in a
directory named "source". There should be some pre-built packages, too.
That will look like, .../packages/All/*.tgz. You can install those with
"pkg_add _filename_".

Frederick