Subject: Re: [Re: Configuration Cont'd]
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/20/2000 08:22:10
I have solved a few of the issues.  I set console security to off.  added=
user (petrah) and I thought created an su at the same time.  Apparently t=
hat
is not the case though.  When I long on to xterm as root and then try to =
su
petrah I get a no file msg.  Clearly I missed something.

The mouse is still inop still not sure why.  It is a PS/2 that worked in =
win95
but the connector uses a db9 to conn to the comm1 serial port.

I've never seen an exterm window prior to this.  Am I supposed to have Ic=
on as
in Linux or do I use the command line?

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 26, 2036 at 09:10:05PM -0500, Petra Hofmann wrote:
> > Ok!!  startx works, however a number of other issues have appeared wi=
th
which
> > I need assistance.
> > =

> > 1.  The console is again asking for a logon and is rejecting the root=
=2E =

I've
> > checked the etc/ttys file and the console is on security and the firs=
t =

ttye0
> > is one security too.   Freebsd doc suggest adding new user to correct=

this
> > root logon problem.
> =

> When you says "console" it's text mode or under X, with xdm
> (i.e do you have a line starting with 'NetBSD/i386' (assuming you've a =
PC)
> followed by a host name) ?
> This is really strange. Don't you have some special chars in you passwd=
 ?
> Try to change it and use only plain ASCII ones.
> =

> > =

> > 2.  Next I went to vipw the list is not intuitive so I'm not sure wha=
I'm
> > looking at.  Except it looks like a user name first then an * in lieu=
 of
> > password.  The man has no information as to what goes in each column.=
> > suspect it is uid and gid values.
> =

> 'man adduser' should give you some infos here.
> =

> > =

> > 3.  The arrow keys and some of the other keyboard keys are not
functioning
> > correctly.  Is there another keyboard config I should use?  Currently=

using

Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=3D=
1