Subject: Re: Configuration Cont'd
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/19/2000 22:06:36
On Sat, Jul 26, 2036 at 09:10:05PM -0500, Petra Hofmann wrote:
> Ok!!  startx works, however a number of other issues have appeared with which
> I need assistance.
>
> 1.  The console is again asking for a logon and is rejecting the root.  I've
> checked the etc/ttys file and the console is on security and the first  ttye0
> is one security too.   Freebsd doc suggest adding new user to correct this
> root logon problem.

When you says "console" it's text mode or under X, with xdm
(i.e do you have a line starting with 'NetBSD/i386' (assuming you've a PC)
followed by a host name) ?
This is really strange. Don't you have some special chars in you passwd ?
Try to change it and use only plain ASCII ones.

> 2.  Next I went to vipw the list is not intuitive so I'm not sure what I'm
> looking at.  Except it looks like a user name first then an * in lieu of
> password.  The man has no information as to what goes in each column.  I
> suspect it is uid and gid values.

'man adduser' should give you some infos here.

> 3.  The arrow keys and some of the other keyboard keys are not functioning
> correctly.  Is there another keyboard config I should use?  Currently using
> std 102 US.

What keyboard do you have ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>