Subject: Re: Configuration Cont'd
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/19/2000 15:03:51
On 19 Jun 2000, Petra Hofmann wrote:

> 1.  The console is again asking for a logon and is rejecting the root.  I've
> checked the etc/ttys file and the console is on security and the first  ttye0
> is one security too.   Freebsd doc suggest adding new user to correct this
> root logon problem.

You shouldn't have both "console" and "ttye0" on. On i386 with wscons,
for example, I have "console" off, "ttyE0" on.

> 2.  Next I went to vipw the list is not intuitive so I'm not sure what I'm
> looking at.  Except it looks like a user name first then an * in lieu of
> password.  The man has no information as to what goes in each column.  I
> suspect it is uid and gid values.

What I do is copy one line (in vi, that's [ESC]yyp), change the
username, uid, gid, home directory, and shell, save and exit, then
"passwd [-l] _user_" to set a password. [The format is described in
detail in passwd(5)].

> 3.  The arrow keys and some of the other keyboard keys are not functioning
> correctly.  Is there another keyboard config I should use?  Currently using
> std 102 US.

In what way? The standard keyboard is "us(pc101)", or what XF86Setup
calls "Generic 101-key PC". If you have an unusual keyboard, you can
tweak it with either "xmodmap" or "xkbcomp", or both.

Frederick