Subject: Re: named settings
To: Mark R. Nathan <mark@nathan.net>
From: Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/19/2000 14:12:05
Hi,

If you want to have named start when the system loads, you have to
edit the rc.conf and change the line that reads named=NO to named=YES

man rc.conf

What version of netbsd are you running? The one I've got, 1.4.2, has
BIND 8.2.2-P5 as part of the base.

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 03:13:44AM -0700, Mark R. Nathan wrote:
> On 6/19/00, Michael C. Ibarra wanted to tell me:
> >named.boot is the file used by BIND 4.x servers, named.conf is the file used
> >for BIND 8.x servers. Try to stick with named.conf as BIND 8.x (the latest one
> >at least, is what is highly recommended due to severe security holes
> >with 4.x as
> >well as older 8.x versions. For more info on BIND, go to
> >http://www.isc.org/products/BIND
> >

> After a little more investigation I realized this was Bind 4.x also.
> So I tried my best to input my settings inside the template provided
> in namedb dir and copied it to my /etc folder.
>
> running named still gives me a cant open named.conf (though it now
> does exist).  I am thinking the permissions are set incorrectly but
> dont know what it should be set to.  I am obviously doing something
> wrong.
>

> >>  > 2. Somewhere I was instructed on including the following in my
> >>named.boot file:

> >The directory can be whatever you want it to be, so as long as it is
> >stated in this file,
> >which has to live in /etc or at least have a link from /etc to where it lives.
> >
> >BTW, you mentioned /etc.resolv.conf , this file is who *you* will

/etc/resolv.conf you mean? This basically tells the resolver library routines where
it should connect to enable it to resolve hostnames to IP's In your case it connects
to your ISP's nameserver. If you want to use your own nameserver you'll have to
change the resolv.conf so that the connection is made to your own name server, which
will then attempt to resolve the hostname to an IP address.

> >resolve from, the way
> >I spelled it is the way it is correct.
> >
> >>  >

> The directory is hosted currently now inside the /etc/namedb folder.
> Which is perfectly fine for now.   regarding the etc.resolv.conf ..
> clarifying.. this is my ISP's nameservers and search domain names
> (also included my IP and Domain as well).  Where can I find 'up to
> date' info about this.  I seem to find the online tutorials and books
> that give me completely different ways of doing this.  Most of which
> seem wrong now.

man resolv.conf

The only difference realy if the file locations. A tutorial for BIND 8.x.x
should aplly to BIND 8.x.x on any system. It so happens that NetBSD stores
the files in the /etc/namedb directory, that is at least the case on the
NetBSD 1.4.2 that I'm running.

Look at the man pages.

man named.conf
man named

> thanks!!
>

> PS:  How do i set up my rc.local file to start named at boot?

man rc.conf

> --

>     Mark R. Nathan                        http://www.miraboomusic.com
>     Miraboo Group                   mailto:president@miraboomusic.com
>     President                                  mailto:mark@nathan.net

Regards
Willem Brown

--
 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

The primary function of the design engineer is to make things
difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.