Subject: Re: named settings
To: Mark R. Nathan <mark@nathan.net>
From: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/19/2000 11:12:40
> when I type named,  I get the dialog that says named.conf can not be
> opened.  I never created it or was told I had to via the docs I have
> been learning from.

By default named will search for /etc/named.conf
I believe freebsd and some other unises name this file named.boot.
Copy this file to /etc/named.conf or make sure to tell named where
to find this file with the -c option. (man named).
When using that you can also just say you're using named.boot as config file.

> 2. Somewhere I was instructed on including the following in my named.boot file:
>
> directory  /var/domain
>
> this dir contains these following files:. dns1.hosts, dsn.rev,
> forward, local.rev, reverse, root . I typed my entire DNS profile,
> nameservers and Domain names I host.  Did I follow the instructions
> correctly by placing them within this dir?
>
> (why are there so many conflicting ways / styles to do this?  For
> newbies like me,  I can understand how people can go insane with Unix
> =)

Actually there is a samplefile placed in /etc/namedb/named.conf
You can change that file to match your needs.
May i plz advice to make a user and group for named and run
named as that uid/gid.
BUt okay, first make sure to configure your named.conf
Btw, you are using named 8.2.2-p5 arent you?

> 3. Not proficient at spelling our rules for NAT but I am in need of
> protecting my environment. Is there a strong set of rules I can find
> and possibly parse through to include in my ipnat.conf file?   Would
> gratefully accept submissions ;)

Best to go to the main site of ipf.
In there is a section dedicated to ipnat and how to set it up.
Bye,

Mipam.