Subject: RE: named settings
To: Mark R. Nathan <mark@nathan.net>
From: LeRoy C. Miller III <qball@ansic.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/2000 11:44:00
resolv.conf is used for the machine to find nameservers to look things up
search paths etc.

named.boot is from BIND 4.9.x versions, which are now outdated and full of
security holes, you should run (it would appear you are)Bind 8.2.2P5.  Bind 8.x
replaced named.boot with named.conf, and along with that came a signifigant
syntax change in that file.
You can check your bind version by typing

dig @ txt chaos version.bind

if it's lower than 8.2.2P5 you should upgrade immediatly before setting it up
as older version have security holes in them (NetBSD 1.4.2 Ships with 8.2.2P5)

you can find a through Understanding of BIND in the book DNS & Bind
(www.orielly.com (spelled right?) edition 3 (which now covers bind 8) or on the
web at www.isc.org you can manage a working config with there examples and
documentation.

The Directory where you store your BIND info (hosts to ips and reverse) is
configured via named.conf

the man page for IPF is good, and /usr/share/examples/ipf has alot of stuff for
you to learn from.

Later
LeRoy

On 19-Jun-00 Mark R. Nathan wrote:
> At risk of sounding horribly new.. please bear with me =)
>
> I am at a point where several of my tutorial books offer generic
> advice but only specific to  SunOS systems at this point.
>
> Would someone offer some tips as well as scripts used for the following:
>
> 1. I need to learn what exactly needs to be put in to the named.conf
> file.  I have configured the follwing file according to the tutorials
> online as well as Unix System Admin handbook:
>
> reslov.conf
> named.boot
>
> when I type named,  I get the dialog that says named.conf can not be
> opened.  I never created it or was told I had to via the docs I have
> been learning from.
>
> 2. Somewhere I was instructed on including the following in my named.boot
> file:
>
> directory  /var/domain
>
> this dir contains these following files:. dns1.hosts, dsn.rev,
> forward, local.rev, reverse, root . I typed my entire DNS profile,
> nameservers and Domain names I host.  Did I follow the instructions
> correctly by placing them within this dir?
>
> (why are there so many conflicting ways / styles to do this?  For
> newbies like me,  I can understand how people can go insane with Unix
> =)
>

> 3. Not proficient at spelling our rules for NAT but I am in need of
> protecting my environment. Is there a strong set of rules I can find
> and possibly parse through to include in my ipnat.conf file?   Would
> gratefully accept submissions ;)
>
> thanks for everyones attention and help.  I hope I don't sound too
> much like a whiner!
>
> mark Nathan
> --

>     Mark R. Nathan                        http://www.miraboomusic.com