Subject: Re: [Re: [Re: logon issues]]
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/15/2000 14:46:50
Hi Everyone,

I want to thank several of you who suggested I try Again.  I did and it i=
s  a
little easier.  However, I am still having the same problem.  Although I =
think
I understand better what is happening.  First, the keyboard and mouse are=
 not
being configured correctly.  When I run XF86Config I use the suggested mo=
use
and keyboard settings but these are not being saved by the xf86config uti=
lity.
 Also when I try to run the utility a second time it fails to come up.  I=

don't know why?

I have printed out everyone's suggestions and they have been a big help i=
learning so far.  I just need to get these device config correctly, of
course.

Petra

Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2036 at 05:45:27PM -0500, Petra Hofmann wrote:
> > Back to the issue.  The startX problems appears to be related to how =
> > configure for the mouse.  Also, the keyboard doesn't seem to configur=
> > correctly either.  The issue is XF86.  I thought the software was inc=
luded
on
> > the NetBSD cd.  Perhaps it is not there.  I selected in Xserver and I=

assumed
> > (!)this would then call the correct software from the cd rom.  Do I n=
eed
> > download XF86?
> =

> The X normally included with NetBSD (I don't know where you got the CD
from)
> is based on XFree86, with little modification for the i386 port.
> =

> It should have been installed in /usr/X11R6. The normal server that you=

> use is the SVGA server, called XF86_SVGA. There should be a symbolic
> link to that in /usr/X11R6/bin, like this:
> =

> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel        9 Dec 22 12:30 /usr/X11R6/bin/X@ ->
XF86_SVGA

Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=3D=