Subject: Re: [Re: logon issues]
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/15/2000 22:17:05
On Tue, Jul 22, 2036 at 05:45:27PM -0500, Petra Hofmann wrote:
> Back to the issue.  The startX problems appears to be related to how I
> configure for the mouse.  Also, the keyboard doesn't seem to configure
> correctly either.  The issue is XF86.  I thought the software was included on
> the NetBSD cd.  Perhaps it is not there.  I selected in Xserver and I assumed
> (!)this would then call the correct software from the cd rom.  Do I need to
> download XF86?

The X normally included with NetBSD (I don't know where you got the CD from)
is based on XFree86, with little modification for the i386 port.

It should have been installed in /usr/X11R6. The normal server that you
use is the SVGA server, called XF86_SVGA. There should be a symbolic
link to that in /usr/X11R6/bin, like this:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel        9 Dec 22 12:30 /usr/X11R6/bin/X@ -> XF86_SVGA

The XF86 configuration file can be in a few places. It can be
/etc/XF86Config or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.

You can generate one using xf86config, which you may later have to
change a bit. You can find quite a bit of information on configuring
XFree86 on the web, the configuration file is no different for
Linux or FreeBSD. One thing to note: if you use a PS/2 mouse
with NetBSD, you should specify the protocol "BusMouse".

- Frank