Subject: Re: logon issues
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/14/2000 13:27:09
According to Petra Hofmann:

>I closed the xterm, got a csh prompt and am able to logon as root.  I hav=
>e not
>added a new user as this time.  Apparently I can run vi and other files
>without issue.  However, if I start the Xterm it will not allow me to log=
>on.

Hopefully this is not too late ;-)  Stick with it you are almost
there.  It sounds like what you are doing is running "startx" from the
command line, correct?  If this is the case then you will be starting
X as the user currently logged in.  The default startup for X will pop
up 3 windows and the X session is depending on the leftmost window.
If you exit that window then the X session shuts down and drops you
back to the shell prompt.

>Must I adduser?  Or is there something I've missed?

Yes, I think now is the time for you to add a new user.

BTW FreeBSD use the same X as NetBSD so you could browse their
documentation on how to set up X and apply pretty much all of it to
NetBSD, the only difference being the setup of the mouse device.