Subject: Re: logon issues
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/13/2000 13:19:15
Could this be a permissions issue with the file /etc/ttys?

The ttyp0, ttyp1, etc lines are probably not marked as secure; therefore,
root will not be allowed to log into the system through them.  The console
is probably marked as secure so when X isn't running and you try to connect
through the console, it works.  When X is running and you try to login, you
are probably logging in through one of the ttyp? ports.

Adding a non-root user or changing the first couple of ttyp's to be secure
should solve the problem if this is the case.

My file reads (in part):

#       $NetBSD: ttys,v 1.8 1998/01/09 06:09:45 perry Exp $
#
#       @(#)ttys        5.1 (Berkeley) 4/17/89
#
# name  getty                           type    status          comments
#
console "/usr/libexec/getty suncons"    sun     on secure
ttya    "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyb    "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyp0   none                            network secure
ttyp1   none                            network secure

Note that I'm runnig NetBSD-sparc but the idea should be the same across
all the ports.

Steven G.

At 12:03 PM 6/13/00 CDT, Petra Hofmann wrote:
>I closed the xterm, got a csh prompt and am able to logon as root.  I have
not
>added a new user as this time.  Apparently I can run vi and other files
>without issue.  However, if I start the Xterm it will not allow me to logon.
>
>Must I adduser?  Or is there something I've missed?

>Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1

"Luke, you're going to find that many of | Steven Grunza
the truths we cling to depend greatly    | voice:  (856) 787 - 2759
on our own point of view."               | fax:    (856) 866 - 2033
 - Obi Wan Kenobi, Return of the Jedi    | e-mail: steven_grunza@ieee.org