Subject: Re: Config questions
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/12/2000 17:55:34
On 12 Jun 2000, Petra Hofmann wrote:

> I finally got an xterm window open.  I set xdm to yes and now I have a window.
>  Now I have two questions:  1. I did something while in vi and now all I get
> are binary images in the xterm.  How do I undo this?

Sounds like you sent a "SHIFT OUT" = ^N, which enables the VTxxx
alternate character set. "SHIFT IN" = ^O won't work, because ^O has
meaning for the line discipline. You could hold down the control key
while button-2 clicking on the xterm to pop up a menu which lets you
do a "full reset" of the xterm. You could also make ^N, ^V^O toggle
character sets by first typing "stty discard none". Plus, you can
always type ^D, then open another xterm.

> 2.  Do I now run
> xf86config to config the keyboard and mouse?  Thanks, Petra

You can do that, but you shouldn't have to. Better to download the
XF86Setup package. If you launch XF86Setup under X, it will give you
an option to only tweak your current configuration, rather than
starting all over.

Frederick