Subject: Re: rc.conf
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/12/2000 19:46:57
On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 12:36:17PM -0500, Petra Hofmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well I reinstalled 1.4.2 into the second box and then realized why I'm having
> trouble. wscons is not configured according to the online instructions and I
> can't seem to be able to make any changes.  This is when I realized that
> xf86config is not configuring this file.
>
> I ran cat rc.conf to find this out.  Now what to I do to edit this file?  All
> the instructions say to edit but I thought csh would allow me to do this.  Got
> a UNIX cmd book but it is of no help.

A nice way to learn to edit on any unix system is with vi.
Just type "vi /etc/rc.conf" and you can make changes.
I would recommand however, to read the man of vi before.
When you wish to view rc.conf just type "view /etc/rc.conf"
I guess for beginning ppl there are more easy editors, but then
you would have to install then from the packages.

One thing i dont understand though.
I never had to configure wscons, normally you just have to set wscons to yes
in /etc/rc.conf, that's all.
Btw, the line of wscons is al the very end of /etc/rc.conf
By default it's set to no, set it to yes.
Bye,

Mipam.