Subject: Re: New Xserver
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Jim Spath <jspath@bcpl.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/11/2000 10:25:49
On Fri, Jul 18, 2036 at 03:14:36PM -0500, Petra Hofmann wrote:
> I have received several comments to re-compile the kernel.  However, not only
> am I new to NetBSD I'm new to unix in general.  Re-compiling 1.4.2 in a system
> I've yet to get functioning properly is scary to say the least.  I hope there
> may be other solutions, i.e. different mouse, that I may use until I learn
> more about what I'm doing.  I plan on taking a UNIX class but can't get until
> the Fall term.  In the mean time I'll do my best to get this system to work.
> Thank you for your patience.  Petra

Compiling a kernel isn't very scary, it's replacing a working kernel
with one of your own that's scary :-)

For practice before zapping the generic kernel, copy the working one
to a new name (e.g., cp /netbsd /netbsd.save), and then boot from the
copy (during boot, type "wd0a:netbsd.save"). This will give you some
confidence that you can go back to the working kernel if things go
wrong.  See "man boot" for details.

Even system administrators with 20 years experience take a breath
sometimes when blowing away a UNIX kernel that has been working great,
knowing that the new system image has not been tested with that specific
system yet.

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says: