Subject: Re: [Re: XServer failure]
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/10/2000 15:51:57
Yes, when you do ``startx >& /tmp/x.log'', the screen SHOULD be
blank.  That's because the >&/tmp/x.log bit is telling your system to send
to a file (/tmp/x.log) all of the messages that would otherwise appear on
the screen.  So, the screen is blank, but the new file, /tmp/x.log, should
contain lots of stuff.

So, repeating the requests of others, can you post the contents of the
file, /tmp/x.log?

(If you've rebooted your computer since last doing ``startx >&
/tmp/x.log'', the /tmp/x.log file has probably been deleted.  You may have
re-run the ``startx >& /tmp/x.log'' command to recreate the file.)

You also say, ``When I try /etc/XF86Config I get permission denied''

What, exactly, are you trying to do with /etc/XF86Config?  It sounds to me
like you're trying to execute the file.  It cannot be executed, which is
why you are told ``permission denied'', even when you try it as root.

Just include the whole /etc/XF86Config file in your email, along with the
suggested /tmp/x.log (recreating the x.log, if need be).

If you don't know how to include files in email, you can ask
here---though the answer will depend upon what program(s) you use to read
and write email.

I hope that this clarifies some things.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com