Subject: Re: Politics of configuration
To: Mark R. Nathan <mark@nathan.net>
From: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/10/2000 01:03:59
> After installing BIND 8.x and then having no luck I installed the
> 4.9.7 and followed the directions.  Each file is named correctly and
> listed in the correct directories.  I test my DNS using named and get
> the following error in response:
>
> cant open '/usr/pkg/etc/named.conf'
>
> understandably.. because I was never asked to create them in the
> instructions.  I was also under the impression that I was building
> the settings under BIND 4.9.7 not 8.2.2
>
> This is where books fail to help.  I've read through several chapters
> of Orielly Bookshelf and they claim the files I should be creating
> are called db. files.

I got bind 8.2.2-p5 from make build.
I believe there is an example file in /etc/namedb?
But i believe you can give arguments in rc.conf to where named should read its
named.conf from.
In the flags you can set:  -c /etc/named.conf for example cause named to
read named.conf from /etc. In the named.conf you can set in option where
to read the db files from. After that you'll have to set the zone's.
For some nice general info about dns'ses plz look here:

http://cr.yp.to/dnscache.html

Try to look at the example file to set your personal options needed for your
situation.
Bye,

Mipam.