Subject: Re: Three problems with NetBSD 1.4.2/i386
To: Jaume Samperiz <bamokato@intercom.es>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/08/2000 20:21:44
On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 05:36:13AM +0200, Jaume Samperiz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have some problems with NetBSD 1.4.2/i386.
>
> (1 Problem) My second hd 3Gbytes has 2 W98/FAT16 partitions.
>
>      I can mount the first partiton with:
>
>            mount -t msdos  /dev/wd1e /dose
>
>       but I can't mount the second partition:
>
>          mount -t msdos  /dev/wd1f   /dosf      fails.
>
>      I think the problem is in the disklabel. If I make
>
>            disklabel wd1
>
>        the fstype field shows  "unused" in the case of the second partition and
>         "msdos" in the case of the first partition.
>
>        I try to edit the disklabel but  wd1 don't seems to have a disklabel
>       (type of disklabel "ficticius" ?) and when I try to create one I can't.

This is likely because your second FAT is in an extended partition.
Use 'mbrlabel' to put a crrect fictitious disklabel in memory.

> (2 Problem) I can't use my CDROM (detected as cd0).  When I try to mount
> 	the cdrom with:
>
> 		mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a /cdrom
>
>           NetBsd try to use ULTRADMA  (but my motherboard
> don't          	 support UltraDMA !!). Then, NetBsd shows things like:
>
>           "Downgrading to  mode    ..." ,   it fails,
>           "Downgrading to other mode   (DMA 2?) ... " it fails,
>            and finally the computer halts.

halts in which way ? panic an debuger prompt, hang, ... ?
What IDE controller you have ?

>            I think the problem could be ULTRADMA. Can I force NetBsd not
> to 	use it?.

Yes, you need to specify it in your kernel config file and rebuild a kernel.
see wd(4) and cd(4), especially the comments about 'flags'.

> (3 Problem)  I have a EASY TV pci card  (bt878KHF chip) and it's interferring
>                     with my LAN ( 3 Ne2000 machines)
>
>                   With the TV card installed:
>
>                           I can't "ping" two other computers in my
> LAN.   (10.0.0.2 &
>                            10.0.0.3).
>
>                            But I can ping the loopback, 10.0.0.1 ( the
> machine with the
>                            TV card).
>
>                   Without the card:    everything is ok.
>
>                    The LAN works perfectly with W98 & RED HAT LINUX 6.0 and
>                     NetBsd seems to recognise the TV card and it seems that
> there                 	          isn't any IRQ or I/O conflict.

Maybe the TV card shares its IRQ with your nic board ? Is your ethernet ISA
or PCI ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>