Subject: Re: IPv4, IPv6, IP-NAT, what are this ???
To: Richard PLOIX <richard.ploix@fr.adp.com>
From: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/05/2000 14:14:45
> From: Richard PLOIX <richard.ploix@fr.adp.com>
> Subject: IPv4, IPv6, IP-NAT, what are this ???

Hi Richard,

> I don't know what is IPv4, IPv6 and IP-NAT.

IP is the Internet network Protocol. Version 4 is wide in use. V6 is new and
will replace v4 in the future.

IP-NAT is the network address translation. You can use it to connect one
NetBSD computer to your ISP and connect your internal computers with no real
put some private internal IP number behind the NetBSD computer.
When you access the internet from the inside, the NetBSD computer translates
the request. From the outside, all traffic seems to be from the NetBSD
computer.

> where can I find document about this, or somebody to explain to me?

dave@alice>apropos ipf
ipf (4) - packet filtering kernel interface
ipf (8) - alters packet filtering lists for IP packet input and output
ipf, ipf.conf (5) - IP packet filter rule syntax
ipfs (8) - saves and restores information for NAT and state tables.
ipfstat (8) - reports on packet filter statistics and filter list
ipftest (1) - test packet filter rules with arbitary input.
mkfilters (1) - generate a minimal firewall ruleset for ipfilter
dave@alice>apropos ipnat
ipnat (4) - Network Address Translation kernel interface
ipnat (8) - user interface to the NAT
ipnat, ipnat.conf (5) - IP NAT file format

> I need some help about connecting a machine(NetBSD i386 1.4.2) with
> no hostname, no IP, no domainname to my ISP with
> just with a phone number, a login and a password( maybe something else
>  but not an IP).

You get an IP from your ISP. Your last IP was 150.175.184.158. If you have a
decent ISP, you may get one ore more fixed IP adresses.

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse 23, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 NeXTmail dave@turbocat.de
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/
           DEVELOPMENT * CONSULTING * ADMINISTRATION