Subject: Re: NetBSD 0.8
To: NetBSD Help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Mottram <minaret@sprynet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/30/2000 15:09:43
> Odd question, and I don't even know if I'll do anything with it if I
find
> it, but are the sources for 0.8 available anywhere on the net?  386bsd
0.0
> and 0.1 are, and I was thinking of taking 0.8 out for a spin on an old
> 386.

If you need the old code because you don't think NetBSD 1.4.2 will run
on that 386, I just installed 1.4.2 on a 386 with 8 MB of RAM w/o any
problems.  It runs really well too.  Recompiling the kernel is a problem
with this little RAM because gcc will swell to 5 MB compiling a 30 KB
source file. Recompiling the kernel is an excellent idea, however, as I
was able to reduce the 3 MB generic kernel down to 1 MB by turning off
everything that wasn't ISA and just including support for the SCSI board
and Ethernet card I'm using.  You could create a custom kernel on a
bigger machine and copy it over after you have the 386 up and running.

Geoff Mottram
minaret@sprynet.com