Subject: Re: Wierd DNS Problem
To: Frank DeChellis <frankd@iaw.on.ca>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/17/2000 10:54:18
On Wed, 17 May 2000, Frank DeChellis wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We're running NetBSD 1.4.2 and bind 8...everything works great except one
> thing.
>
> Our named.conf specifies 512 files.  We have 420 domains.  When we type
> named.reload or named.restart the name server stops running and we get
> tonnes of the following message in /var/log/daemon:
>
> May  1 13:00:02 canal named[14444]: accept: Too many open files
> May  1 13:00:02 canal named[14444]: ctl_accept: accept: Too many open file
>
> I'm talking like 100 Meg/hour in log messages....
>
> BUT....if I kill the named process and strat it again /usr/sbin/named it
> comes up OK...

Strange.  Does hanging up the process do the same thing as ndc -s
reload?  Traditionally, I've always "kill -1 <pid>" for bind 8 (I don't
know why - just what I'm used to, I guess).

What platform is this?  Is it a GENERIC kernel, or has it been tweaked?

If you can experiment, does removing any files from named.conf help?  512
sounds like the limit on per-process open files, but I'd have to double
check that.  It sounds like when ndc is trying to connect, bind can't
allocate another file handle to deal with the socket... reducing the
number of files in named.conf _may_ reduce the file handle count
and allow ndc to function properly... this is a blind guess, though, and
may be of no use... YMMV!

> BUT then about 20 minutes after, my What's Up monitor pages me and says that
> my DNS server is down...but it "ain't"

Does the initial run of bind load and run okay indefinitely?  Or does
what's up always tell you dns is down after 20 minutes (i.e. even after a
reboot)?

> this is the named.reload script:
>
> exec /usr/sbin/ndc -s reload
>
> when I put ndc in debug more I get these 2 message then nothing:
>
> ndc: [isc/ctl_clnt::new_state: initializing -> connecting]
> ndc: [isc/ctl_clnt::new_state: connecting -> connected]
>
> and the daemon log file starts to fill up like crazzzzzzzzzy.
>
> Anyway...anybody have any ideas?

Not on that one, sorry.

-Jon
 "There is no fourth tower of Inverness!!!" -Meatball Fulton