Subject: Re: DAT changers...
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/02/2000 10:55:01
On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 02:19:52PM -0400, Laine Stump wrote:
> > At 01:51 PM 4/27/00 -0400, Jon Lindgren wrote:
> > >Does anyone have experience with a Seagate/Peregrine 4586NP (also called a
> > >CTL96G-S) 4mm autoloader?  Specifically, should the "ch" device magically
> > >work with it?
> >
> > I've tried two different SCSI tape drives and a SCSI CD changer with chio
> > on NetBSD and they all worked just fine in terms of switching tapes. One of
> > the tape drives was an Archive (later bought by Seagate, I believe) with a
> > similar sounding model number (although it doesn't look anything like the
> > picture of the Peregrine on Seagate's web page).
>
> I also use it with a DLT Overland library, not problems.

Cool - the model I grabbed was an Archive 4586NP.  Seems to work no
problem.  One [strange?] thing about it is that to change tapes, I have to
do an 'chio ielem' first (which ejects the current tape) then an 'chio
move slot x drive 0' to load the new tape.  I thought I'd just be able to
'chio move xxxxx' and it would eject the current tape for me, but I guess
that it makes sense (since I'd have to tell the machine where I want the
tape to go after it's ejected).  A 'chio move drive 0 slot x' didn't work,
either.  Not problems, just different than I thought it might work :-)

Thanks for the reports...

-Jon
 "There is no fourth tower of Inverness!!!" -Meatball Fulton