Subject: Re: Problems with dual booting
To: Matthew T Bell <mtbell@eng.buffalo.edu>
From: Mipam <reinoud@ibbnet.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/31/2000 03:52:17
On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 02:20:54PM -0500, Matthew T Bell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I really don't want to break windows up into two partitions. I would like
> to make root for netbsd the first partition and make it like say a gig or
> so. Then make all of windows the next partition and then put the rest of
> NetBSD after windows. The problem I am having is that when I divide the
> disk with NetBSD, then  window's fdisk doesn't read anything so I
> can't make the windows partitions active and windows will end up
> installing on the first partition.

Hmm, why do you want to place the / label on the first partition and then the windows partition and then the rest of the netbsd partition?
Is it because you are afraid you cant boot netbsd when it's to far on the disk?
Does you bios see the whole size of the disk or only a part of it?
Suppose that your bios sees the whole 20gig harddisk.
Just put windows on the first 10 gig and netbsd on the next 10 gig.
Then install the netbsd bootmanager and lets dance :)
This can also be done when your bios sees only the first 11 gig or your disk or more. But just make sure your bios sees more then 10 gig of the disk.
Now if your bios doesnt see the whole harddisk, suppose it just sees the first 8 gig or something like it. You could try the following.
Make a partition of 10 gig on the first part of the disk, install windows on that. Now i believe there is a program called partition magic or something like it with which you can move (ms) partitions without problems, however, it's not failsafe, but it can be done, seen it happening plenty of times. So move that 10 gig windows partitions for about 100 or 200 meg or something like it.
Install the netbsd root now on the first 100 or 200 meg and the rest behind the windows 10 gig partition. Now of course as anything with m$ such a program costs money. So when you aint got it, well.... that's it. Then follow the option what is mentioned before, make a little windows partition and after that the netbsd root partition, after that the rest of windows and after that the rest of netbsd. PLZ NOTE that it really wont be easy this way to mount an logical drives in an extended partition (ms case) under netbsd. Cause netbsd is on the same disk as ms you cannot use mbrlabel  to make the logical drive visuable.
But he.... if your bios sees the whole disk.... no problem, just make two 10 gig partitions and the netbsd bootmanager will do fine.
Bye,

Mipam