Subject: Re: NFS troubles
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/29/2000 07:43:24
On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 01:17:33PM +0200, Technolord wrote:

 > the aim was to export .30:/ (yes, the root :) and access everything
 > (also mounts) from the other drive.
 > The / gets mounted correctly, but not the other local mounts (i have a
 > .30:/e which is a mount point for wd0e, and the contents don't get seen
 > over NFS)

That's to be expected; the other file systems have to be exported from
that machine separately, and on the clients you have to mount them at
the appropriate places.

 > Also, trying to mount .30:/ without the mountd running on .30 caused the
 > entire (mounting) system to stand idle (no keyboard response, no network
 > interoperability... that is, stuck) even other terminals do nothing, no
 > even logins... I tried it n times (n belonging to N, n big enough ;)
 > with the same results... bug?

Well... it depends on where you tried to mount it.  If you tried to mount
.30:/ over /, then the lock on /'s vnode is held, and all other file
operations are going to block until that lock is released...

More information required :-)

 > AND, if in the nsfd I do NOT specify -t and/or -u, no port is actually
 > opened. Wasn't expected behaviour to open udp port? Or, is it opened but
 > I misconfigured something? :-?

That probably is a bug... tho, I seem to recall that something like this
was fixed at one point...

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>