Subject: Re: File caching absent?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Technolord <l.raiser@deathsdoor.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/29/2000 13:00:52
Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Of course NetBSD uses a cache. How much ram do you have ?
On one machine 64, ~20M free; on the other 192M, almost everything free
(just installed ;)

> On NetBSD file meta-data writes are syncronous by default (can be changed with
> a mount option). This guarantees that the filesystem is always in a coherent
Oh, the good old unix semantics ;)

> On -current you can enable soft-updates, which gives the speed of async
> with the security of metadata sync.
What are soft updates?
Okay, this explains the write part, but not the "no read caching", or
"too small to be noticeable". I tried it again without luck, if I read a
file, and then re-read it (file, directory, whatever), the disk gets
accessed again.
I take as a reference point the linux machine I'm working on where, if I
do "du", first reads the disk (slow) and the 2nd time it goes at least
2x (some cache misses, I guess ;). Under NetBSD if I do du from a
(relatively) small directory twice it still reads all the data back from
disk...?
Maybe a fstab misconfiguration? Puzzles me....

--
.-= tECHNOLORD tHE hELLRAiSER .-=
A shattered heart an empty soul Just one false move and it took its toll