Subject: Sharing a tape drive
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/27/2000 07:07:55
I've got two ss5's running 1.4.1.  Currently, they back themselves up via
a tape drive on a remote machine (via tar and rmt).  I'd like to locally
attach an Exabyte 8500 drive which I've got laying around, but I'd like to
attach it to both locally.  Can I share the SCSI bus between them?  I know
it's electrically and logically possible, but how might NetBSD handle the
sharing of the device?  I was going to set one ss5 to initiate at ID 6,
the other at ID 7, then set the tape drive to something shared, such as
5.  This would be on a second scsi channel i.e. it shouldn't affect my
boot disks or the chain they sit on.

Will NetBSD cough at me?  Or will it hum along?

Or should I just try it?

-Jon
 "Can you count my penny?" | NetBSD on i386, Alpha, VAX, NeXT, SPARC,
 "One!"                    | Mac68k, and hopefully more...