Subject: Re: ipf upgrade
To: Mipam <reinoud@ibbnet.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/26/2000 10:23:00
On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Mipam wrote:

> The release version of netbsd comes with ipf 3.3.6 included.
> What's the best way to upgrade ipf now? Should i sup the most
> current source and build from there the ipf stuff? Or should i try
> to compile the source downloaded from the ipf ftp machines? How
> about libs that should be upgraded with it? I guess some of you
> did stuff like this before? Any suggestion is great. Bye,

The easiest way, by far, is to upgrade to NetBSD-1.4.2. 1.4.2 has the
same ipfilter that's in current now, so there's no advantage to
running current unless you were already doing so for some other
reason.

"current" is not the latest release--it's the _next_ release, not yet
released. If you need to build a custom kernel for 1.4.2, be sure to
get the syssrc.tgz set from within the NetBSD-1.4.2 directory, and not
the NetBSD-current directory.