Subject: make build
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Alexander Frolkin <alexander@frolkin.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/25/2000 14:25:48
Hello,

I'm running NetBSD-1.4.1 on a 386, installed from the CD. I'd like to
upgrade to 1.4.2 using the sources. Compiling them on the 386 would probably
take a few days (I've compile FreeBSD on a P75 and it took 3 days.). I have
another machine, a Cyrix 233 / 128Mb. This is how I want to make build:

 - Boot the 233Mhz machine into NetBSD (from the install CD),
 - NFS mount everything necessary (/bin, /usr) from the 386,
 - Copy the necessary files into /etc
 - NFS mount /usr/src from another machine
 - make DESTDIR=/whatever build
 - Copy everything from /whatever to / on the 386
 - Compile 1.4.2 kernel
 - Reboot

(It would be much easier if the installation, compilation were two different
make targets, like in FreeBSD.)

Is this safe?

Is there a better way to do it?

TIA