Subject: Re: got "/ipf.core"
To: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/24/2000 21:22:38
On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 11:17:43AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> Appended to this message is my ipf.conf file in case someone is interested
> in scrutinizing the rules.

Unfortunably I don't have any stock 1.4.1 machines to test.

> > However, ipf is only used for initialising the filters rules, all happens in
> > kernel after; so a ipf core dump shoudln't leave your system wide open.
>
> If the rules are not read in because of an ipf core dump (I'm not saying
> that is the case, because I plain don't know.), doesn't that mean that the
> kernel's ipfilter module would fall back to the default rules?  Isn't the
> default PASS IN/OUT ALL?

If this happens at boot time the machine will fall back in single-user mode
before the interfaces are initialized. If this happens while you're playing
with ipf you should notice it and reinstall the old rules :)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>