Subject: Re: HP JetDirect EX Plus config?
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/18/2000 10:58:40
On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

>Anyone know of any tools which work with NetBSD that will allow me to set
>the network settings (IP address, etc) of a HP JetDirect EX Plus?  Its one
>of those boxes that lets you hook a parallel port printer to ethernet.
>There are no front panel controls and no dip switches of any sort.

You can use BOOTP/TFTP.  BOOTP gives the IP address, subnet mask,
default router and syslog server address, while TFTP lets you load
an access control list and some SNMP config stuff.  Examples entries:

/etc/bootptab
=============

myprinter:\
	:hn:ht=ether:vm=rfc1048:\
	:ha=xxxxxxxxxxxx:\
	:ip=aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa:\
	:sm=255.255.255.0:\
	:gw=ggg.ggg.ggg.ggg:\
	:lg=lll.lll.lll.lll:\
	:T144="hpnp/myprinter.cfg":

/tftpboot/hpnp/myprinter.cfg
============================

name: myprinter
location: Somewhere else
contact: The Operators
allow:	<addr1> <netmask1>
allow:	<addr2> <netmask2>
	(up to 10 allow: records)
idle-timeout: 1800
get-community-name: public
set-community-name: xxxx
trap-community-name: xxxx
trap-dest: ttt.ttt.ttt.ttt
authentication-trap: on
subnets-local: on

----------------------------------

Note that you MUST run tftpd (and have the .cfg file accessible) on any
machine which runs bootpd and has the JetDirect's entry in its bootptab.
If the JetDirect gets a bootp response, but then can't TFTP the config file
in the T144 field from the same address, it sulks.  There are some
"interesting" problems if you run bootpd on a multi-homed host and the
TFTP reply packets come from a different address from the one which the
JetDirect knows about.

If the box doesn't get a bootp reply within some timeout, it goes to
a default address (192.0.0.192, AFAIR).  You can then telnet into it
and set the address you want.  Set this way, the address is non-volatile,
but there is no way to set an access control list.  If you need to clear
the address set up through telnet (so it will go back to doing bootp)
hold down the TEST button for 2 seconds while powering up.

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |