Subject: CD-ROM burner not working after CD ripping
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Marc Baudoin <babafou@pasteur.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/17/2000 21:26:27
I've been using a CD-ROM burner for several months without
trouble on my NetBSD/i386 1.4 system:

cd1 at atapibus1 drive 0: <IDE-CD  ReWritable-2x2x6, 4VO2299111509520021, V:003.0> type 5 cdrom removable

Then I tried to rip my audio CDs with cdd and cdparanoia from the
packages collection.  cdd doesn't get anything worth listening
but cdparanoia works perfectly.  After converting my files to
MP3, I tried to burn a CD with cdrecord 1.8 (not from the
packages, I compiled it) and got the following error messages:

[...]
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01:   0 of 465 MB written./opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Erreur d'entrée/sortie. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1E 00
status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
resid: 61440
cmd finished after 2.749s timeout 40s

write track data: error after 0 bytes
Sense Bytes: F0 00 00 00 00 00 00 19 00 00 05 5A 00 00 00 00 00 00
Writing  time:    8.015s
Fixating...
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Erreur d'entrée/sortie. close track/session: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
cmd finished after 0.009s timeout 480s
Fixating time:   13.214s
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: fifo had 68 puts and 1 gets.
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.

What's strange is that I can still use that CD-ROM burner to
mount ISO 9660 CDs or read audio CDs.  Only the burning seems to
be malfunctionning.

I don't believe cdd or cdparanoia did any harm to the burner but
the only explanation to my problems is that one of them changed
something somewhere somehow.  Rebooting my PC didn't change
anything, as halting it for a few minutes.

Does anybody know if there is some kind of NVRAM inside the
burner that could have been altered and how to get it back
working?

--
Marc Baudoin   -=-   <babafou@babafou.eu.org>