Subject: Re: 2 stop-bits and 8 data bits?
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/14/2000 07:53:56
On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Robert Elz wrote:

> That depends upon whose restriction you're reporting.   If NetBSD's
> then no comment.   If serial lines, then that's not correct - you can
> have as many "stop bits" as you like - thousands if you want to, a stop
> bit is just a delay between the end of one character and the start of the
> next.  At least one is mandatory (for async operations), to provide some
> separation between characters - it allows the start bit to be recognised,
> but beyond that, the sky is the limit.

Well, you learn something new every day.  I remember reading what I said
previously in an old manual, so it was probably a restriction for a
particular machine, etc...

Thanks for setting me straight!

-Jon
 "Can you count my penny?" | NetBSD on i386, Alpha, VAX, NeXT, SPARC,
 "One!"                    | Mac68k, and hopefully more...