Subject: SUMMARY: DE205 thinwire on NetBSD 1.4.1??
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Ed Wensell III <EWENSELL@pstcc.cc.tn.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/11/2000 22:11:49
Several days ago, I asked:

=> Does NetBSD/i386 1.4.1 support the thinwire (10base2) port on DEC
=> EtherWORKS DE205 combo netword cards (AUI+Thinwire+Twisted-pair)?
=> If so, is there any special magic needed?

I received several messages and learned a few new things about ifconfig,
but they didn't solve the problem. I mentioned my ordeal to a friend
and it turns out he had the same problems under FreeBSD. Long story short,
the link0 and link1 flags need to be used in order to get the DE205
10base2 port to work.

SO... For anyone else that runs into this, here's my working configuration:

	Blue block on board set to ThinWire
	port 0x320, IRQ 5, memory D0000 in 2K blocks [*]
	Autoselect disabled and media set to BNC/AUI [*]
	All other card settings default

	Normal settings in ifconfig.lc0

		inet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd netmask 255.255.255.0 media autoselect

	This will default it to 10base5. For some reason, the link flags
	are not accepted via the ifconfig.lcx, so somewhere in the startup
	scripts (I used rc.local), use the following:

		ifconfig lc0 down
		ifconfig lc0 link0 link1
		ifconfig lc0 up

	In the end, it looks like:

	# ifconfig lc0
	lc0: flags=b863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,LINK0,
	LINK1,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet autoselect (10base5)
        status: active
        inet <hidden> netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast <hidden>

	Items marked with [*] were set using the NICSETUP included with the
	Etherworks3 kit
	(http://www.networks.digital.com/dr/nics/drivers/e3kit250.zip). The
	kit includes the source for a Linux config utility. Anyone have any
	success porting or compiling it? Would be nice to be able to change
	the board settings without a DOS/Win boot disk... :)

Still many thanks to the people who tried to help... Hope I can provide an
assist someday.

---
Until Soon...
Ed Wensell III
http://www2.pstcc.cc.tn.us/~ewensell
http://www.geocities.com/ewensell3

"There is no spoon." - Neo in "The Matrix",
OR me at the local Taco Bell