Subject: ESS1868 Working.....strangely
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Ras-Sol <ras-sol@usa.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/09/2000 17:38:27
Hey-

So I've got NetBSD on a little embedded system with an ESS1868 audio chip.

I had this *exact* setup playing sound perfectly under Linux-
But I have seen this problem with both FreeBSD and NetBSD now-

The sound seems to kinda work- I can play au files just fine.
But 22050hz and 44100hz files?
I just get static-
Not like it's dropping out, just *pure* static-
splay playing a wav file-
wavplay playing raw PCM-
mpg123 playing an mp3- it doesn't matter-

I am detecting it under pnp* as the ess driver-
It's supposedly sb compatible so I built a kernel to detect it like it's
a normal sb at 220 5 1 but it didn't find it.

My situation is this- I'd like to use NetBSD for this, because it can do what I
need it to do while using only 60% of the CPU.
Linux- after *major* tweaking I BARELY got it to work- using 97% CPU.
Obviously I need to use the rest of the CPU for other things- so NetBSD it is-

Any help will be appreciated-

--
Part-time thriller, permanent iller.