Subject: IDE tape drive
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/07/2000 17:31:00
I am trying to hook up an IDE tape drive.  It is being recognized by
the kernel as Unknown.

uk0 at atapibus0 drive 1: <Seagate STT20000A, , 8.43> type 1 sequential removable
uk0: unknown device
uk0: 32-bits data port
uk0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2

There is no tape device in the config file for IDE like the st device
for SCSI.  I tried using /dev/uk0 but it said that it does not support
write on that device.  Do I need to add something to the config that
isn't in the GENERIC one?  Is there some other magic I need to know
about or doesn't NetBSD support IDE tape drives.  I didn't see it
mentioned on the web pages (let me know if it should be and I'll do
the update) but it also doesn't mention SCSI tape drives specifically
and I know they work.