Subject: cannot fork errors...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Zach Fine <zach@xdsl014.serv.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/03/2000 13:26:58
A php3 script of mine is producing 'Cannot fork' errors and sometimes
segfaults in the apache error_log whenever it attempts to execute a
system() command. Someone on the php mailing list suggested that I
allow more processes and file descripters per user.

I could perhaps do this by running apache from a shell script which
would first set these limits with 'ulimit -p 4000' or somesuch, but
isn't there some relation between maxproc, CHILD_MAX, OPEN_MAX, and
maxusers that needs to be maintained? Will I first need to increase
maxusers and compile a new kernel? Will I need to make changes to
CHILD_MAX in /usr/src/sys/sys/syslimits.h?

Thanks for any help.

-Zach Fine
czyz@serv.net

PS. The stability problems I had with my NetBSD box have been solved
-- a new motherboard and processor did the trick. One or both had a
bad cache.