Subject: Re: Newbie ppp problems
To: Dominic Jones <dominicj@cs.utah.edu>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/28/2000 21:13:01
I notice that your chat script ends with:

 /~~~

ogin: <username> ssword: <password>

 \___

Is it a typo that you are putting your login & password on the same line?
They probably should NOT actually be on the same line, and this might be
the cause of your problem (or a cause of it).

I have mine ending with:

 /~~~

"ogin:" "quux"
"word:" "foobar"
"~-^Uppp-~"

 \___

It's been more than half a year since I set up my PPP account; I vaguely
recall that the last line was put in so that the scripter would accept the
connection as ``okay'' and drop back to pppd normal activity.

(Of course, my login isn't _really_ quux/foobar.  I'm really Bill Gates in
disguise and use VB for my password.)

Can you hear if the modem is dialing?  Connecting?  Can you borrow an
external modem (with lights!) so that you can watch the line activity and
perhaps better figure out where it fails?  Could you turn on pppd's
debugging and direct the logging to a file?  (See pppd's debug option.)

pppd debug mode will probably indicate pretty clearly how far it's getting
(and where/why it's failing)---though I haven't ever used it on my system.

Some possible problems come to mind offhand:

 * Are you sure that the login & password prompts look that way?  Maybe
   the ISP did something cute such as ``Logon'', or ``PASSWORD:''.  It's
   not too likely, but it's possible.
 * Is pppd correctly informed of the speed to use with the modem?
 * Have you set up an /etc/ppp/peers/<host> file?  How about an
   /etc/ppp/options.tty*?
 * My ISP told me that I had to use pap (PAP?).  I'm not sure if this
   is true, as it appears to be a for the receiver's use, from the way
   that I read the man-page.  I do seem to have a papsecrets file
   set up, though I am  not certain if I really need it.

For reference, I invoke pppd with:

$ pppd call kcnet

(kcnet is my ISP.  (^&)

I"m sorry to be so vague, but hopefully something in this email will help
you figure out the problem.  Good luck.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com