Subject: Newbie ppp problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Dominic Jones <dominicj@cs.utah.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/28/2000 18:45:06
	Hi. I'm trying to configure pppd on my i386 based machine running
NetBSD 1.4.1. I have an internal ISA modem. It is not a winmodem; I have
already verified this (it works with BeOS, which also disallows
winmodems).
	pppd appears to acknowledge the modem on tty01, as it sets up
ppp0 when 'pppd /dev/tty01' is executed. However, the chat script given as
an argument to connect always fails. This script is relatively simple (and
close to that given in a primer in Daemon News):

ABORT BUSY
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
TIMEOUT 5
'' ATZ
TIMEOUT 20
OK ATDT<phone number>
TIMEOUT 40
CONNECT
ogin: <username> ssword: <password>

	Any suggestions? All I know is that the script fails. It *appears*
to be a timeout (I commented out the aborts and it still happened;
commenting out the timeouts resulted in a waiting machine). Could it be an
options problem? My options are pretty vanilla, except that I do have a
static IP.

Dominic R. Jones
The University of Utah
jonesd@acm.org