Subject: None
To: Dominic Jones <dominicj@cs.utah.edu>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2000 20:33:23
Two additional bits in addition to what Andrew said:

 * You probably should make sure that your kernel supports your mouse
correctly, and that the wsmouse (WorkStation mouse; an abstract layer that
makes all mice look alike, as I understand it) knows about your mouse.
Andrew more or less says this, but as a more specific example I have in my
kernel config:

pmsi*           at pckbc?       # PS/2 "Intelli"mouse for wsmouse

...and:

wsmouse*        at pmsi?

(It looks alright to have more than one wsmouse* binding, but I believe
that you should only have one active line in the ``Mice'' section (the
various lines ranged between ``# Mice'' and ``# Joysticks'' in your config
file.)

(FWIW, I have a Gateway 2000 computer, also, with a PS/2
Intellimouse---the only MicroSoft product that I use.  Oh, other than the
nifty MSN coaster.  (^&)

Then, as Andrew says, tell X to use the wsmouse.

 * Although I'm not sure what the ``(aux slot)'' means (is that really a
legit. kernel config option?), pretty much all that you need to know about
this can be found at: http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/x/#wheel-mouse

 ---

If you think that you need to build a new kernel, or don't know if you do,
and don't know how to do so---or even how to find out if you need to do
so---take a look at:
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#building_a_kernel

If you don't know about it already, there's quite a bit of useful
documentation if you go to the NetBSD homepage and follow the
``Documentation and FAQs'' link.  Of course, there's a lot of information,
and you don't always know where to look...

(Okay, if unlike myself you can count, you may aledge that I have given
more than two additional bits.  *grin*)

Anyway, keep on asking questions, and have fun.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com