Subject: Re: Authenticated inter-process communication?
To: Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@phobos.fachschaften.tu-muenchen.de>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/25/2000 13:03:50
  Please note that *UNIX* DGRAM sockets are *not* reliable. They can
drop messages during times of mbuf shortage! This means that, for instance,
logging is not reliable. Alas, switching to STREAM sockets is overkill
because log entries certainly fit in a single mbuf, and having syslogd
run out of file descriptors is not acceptable.

  This was an issue for firewalls that I've been involved in designing.
I have done patches to BSDI and SunOS that make them so, at some processing
time expense.

   :!mcr!:            |  Cow#1: Are you worried about getting Mad Cow Disease?
   Michael Richardson |  Cow#2: No. I'm a duck.
 Home: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.