Subject: Re: Another Manual ???
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/19/2000 13:55:40
[netbsd-users?  didn't know that list existed.]

>Fair call, but I mean "up" as in ready to be a productive entity in an
>enterprise.  Now your talking almost always a kernal rebuild, lots of work
>in /etc, pkgsrc and D/L time from the net.

I've almost always rebuilt the kernel, but I almost never *NEED* to - I just
like to trim it.

/etc:  edit rc.conf.  Maybe create a file like 'ifconfig.xx0', if the install
didn't do it for you.

pkgsrc:  I guess it takes a while, but I never pay any attention, I just hand
it a list of things and wander off.

>Exactly why a manual is needed.  Most soon-to-be ex-Microsft, ex-Linux users
>wouldn't know about this level of installation complexity.  As the future
>progresses, more and more new NetBSDers won't programmers - they'll be
>end-users.

Fair enough - but sysinst is very good at defaults.

>I'll need all the help I can get people.  And your patience as well !!

Despite my fussing above, I would love to see a better newbie manual.

-s