Subject: Re: Laptop monitor frequencies?
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/18/2000 17:05:17
According to Laine Stump:

>How exactly do you get "more pixels" out of a digital display with a fixed
>number of cells? :-)

From what I understand some panels can run in various resolution
modes.  Ultimately you are limited by the number of dots in the panel
but you can get some funky in between modes.  I think they are aimed
at making M$ crap happy by providing resolutions it expects.

>Once a couple years ago, a coworker and I both installed NetBSD on
>"identical" Toshiba 410CDTs.

I just managed to score one of those - I ripped my HD out of the
400CDT I had and dumped it into the 410, tweaked the XF86Config to
make the display 800x600 and now I have 800x600x16bpp much better than
the 640x480x16bpp I had before }:-)

>We had to guess around a
>bit more to get a setting that worked on his (never tried that setting on
>mine, though...)

I think that I had a similar problem and ended up using the
interactive gui config builder to make it work right initially - that
was a first for me.