Subject: Re: Laptop monitor frequencies?
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/18/2000 01:23:16

At 04:26 PM 1/18/00 +1030, Brett Lymn wrote:
>Yes, they do seem to mean things - I know when I was playing with the
>modelines trying to squeeze more pixels onto a laptop display

How exactly do you get "more pixels" out of a digital display with a fixed
number of cells? :-)

>I got
>some interesting but highly unusable hashed up displays.  I have had a
>couple of Toshiba laptops and they seem to always want to run at a
>fixed resolution.

Once a couple years ago, a coworker and I both installed NetBSD on
"identical" Toshiba 410CDTs. By luck, I managed to get an XF86Config file
that worked perfectly on my machine. But when we put it on his, the screen
was, as you say, "hashed"; completely unusable. We had to guess around a
bit more to get a setting that worked on his (never tried that setting on
mine, though...)