Subject: Re: Files-that-are-commands.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/17/2000 17:27:47
On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 09:23:44AM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:

> >   I added some extensions to mount_portal this summer that allow
> > all sorts of wonderful(?) stuff to be done.  If you are running
> > anything from before Aug 99, you'll need to download the latest
>
> I am running a 1.4.1 i386 kernel (from around August, shortly before the
> uniform 1.4.1 official release, I believe).
>
> With the portal filesystem:
>
> /usr/home/rkr: cat /tmp/sig/rotatesig
> cat: /tmp/sig/rotatesig: No such file or directory
>

> Do I need to run -current?  Or should I rebuild userland (userland is
> still 1.4)?  If I need to run -current, will this be in 1.4.2?

  You should be able to simply download the mount_portal source
code for /sbin/mount_portal.  Compile it and it _should_ work.
There may be reasons it won't work, but I can't think of any --
the only kernel functionality it relies on has been there for years.
(If it does work fine, please let me know privately, in case the
issue comes up again.  I don't currently have the spare cycles to
install 1.4 just to try this out!)

  It won't be in 1.4.2.  1.4.2 should only be bug fixes to 1.4.1,
which was bug fixes to 1.4.  This is a new feature, so 1.5 is the
first full release that will have it.

  Have fun!

  Brian Grayson