Subject: Re: cryptic startup and manual help
To: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/17/2000 20:53:05
On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Brian Stark wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, dkphoto wrote:
>
> > I just installed netbsd and after finally getting it to start up, I
> > noticed this line among the other startup feedback:
> >
> > 1dev/sd1a: file system not clean (fs_flags=0); please fsck(8)
> >
> > What the heck does that mean, and what if anything should I do about it?
>
> There is a problem with a file system. See the man page for fsck by
> typing "man 8 fsck". That will give you more information on the command.
> Basically, you will just want to unmount the file system with the problem
> and run fsk on it. For example:
>
>   unmount /users
>   fsck /users

	To clarify - it indicates that the system did not shut
	down cleanly last time, and that fsck(8) has not been run on
	the filesystem during bootup. You should _never_ see this from
	the startup messages as the startup scripts should automatically
	run fsck(8) as necessary before mounting any filesystems.

	Could you send a copy of your /etc/fstab to the list?

> > I finally figured out how to edit rc.conf (why not just have it set
> > properly to begin with, rather than forcing new users on the very first
> > startup to figure out how to edit a system file???)
>
> Because (virtually) every system is different. What you may think are
> reasonable values for a default configuration may not be reasonable for
> someone else.

	It probably is reasonable for the system to come up in a
	non networked configuration, to allow people to configure it
	from the comfort of a working system. I believe this will be
	the case when the mac68k port completes it switch to the new
	'sysinst' install tool.

> > According to the installation instructions, after changing rc.conf, I
> > should be able to login as "root." But when I do, the system gives me
> >
> > Don't login as root, use the su commands.
> >
> > Now, which is it? The instructions tell me to login as root, the system
> > won't let me. Are the instructions out of date, or have I somehow fouled
> > up my system?
>
> This message is there to discourage excessive use of the root account.
> Sometimes there is a need to login as root (for example, during initial
> configuration), but most of the time you do not need to be root to do what
> you want (during normal operation).

	How about we change it to the (also cryptic cryptic, but less
	frightening)

"Setup of non root accounts and use of su(1) for root access is recommended."

> > Is there any documentation/book that doesn't assume that I've been using
>
> Go to your favorite local bookstore and look for some of the books
> published by O'Reilly & Associates. "UNIX in a Nutshell" is a good book,
> as are "Managing NFS and NIS" and "Essential System Administration". I'm
> sure there are other good books, but those are the ones I use regularly.

	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/books.html has some good
	books listed - if anyone can suggest additional books, please
	let us know.

> If you think the documenation can be improved, then do something about
> it instead of complaining about it. Re-write what you think needs to
> be improved. You can use the the send-pr command to submit a problem
> report for the documenation and also include a copy of your new
> version. The man page for send-pr describes the operation of command in
> more detail.

	Though if you really want to help with the documentation then
	we may even let you skip the send-pr stage and have you mail in
	the updates directly :)

		David/absolute