Subject: Re: cryptic startup and manual help
To: dkphoto <dkphoto@cyber-wire.com>
From: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/17/2000 15:36:52
On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, dkphoto wrote:

> When I shutdown bsd, all that happens is that the prompt disappears.
> Whatever was on the screen stays there, and I can even input more text to
> the screen. It just doesn't respond to commands. Is that what a proper
> shutdown looks like, or am I missing something? Also, if I give the
> command to restart in the shutdown sequence, it doesn't do it. It just
> sits there and does nothing.

type 'man shutdown <enter>' for info on the 'shutdown' command, but I
expect that you need to type 'shutdown -h now' to get what you're looking
for.

> LAST:
> Is there any documentation/book that doesn't assume that I've been using
> Unix for years and just "forgot" how some things are done? I mean really!
> Instructions that read like, "well, if that happens, it means your
> asret9[p8h2R.agd file needs to be edited, so just go edit it," are
> completely useless. Even if as a new user I can figure out that I need to
> open the asret9[p8h2R.agd file with a text editor, how in the world am I
> supposed to know what and how to edit?
>
> How about something like this instead:
>
> Located in your system at /xxx/yyy/zzz/ is a file named "asret9[p8h2R.agd"
> The meaning of this file name is: xxxx.
> This file serves the following purposes/provides the following services:
> 1,2,3,4
> The reason you have to edit this file is this: xxxx
> If you do not edit this file, this will happen: xxxx
> If you do edit this file, this will happen: xxxx
> Here is how the file looks now: xxxx
> Here is how it needs to look when you have finished editing it: xxxx
> Here is what all the senseless gibberish you see in the file means and
> what it does: xxxxx (this one is ridiculously important!)
> Here is how to edit it: xxxxx
> Here is what should happen if you have successfully edited the file: xxxxx
> Here is what to do in case of an error: xxxxx
>
> I mean for crying out loud folks, would the installation manual for a new
> Windows user say something like: "If you have problem x, just go edit the
> auto.exec.bat file"?
>
> There, now I feel better!

No problem with you blowing off a little steam here, and I expect you'll
find the guys listening very supportive and helpful, but I expect you're
asking a great deal of hand-holding from what is generally regarded as an
OS for experienced users.  You need to get a good entry level unix text.
Running any unix is like playing with a loaded gun.

George E Sollish	Chief Engineer  	 Auto Gear Equipment
			Host	 		 Classic-FM's Listening Room
			Project Manager		 The Payne Lake Project