Subject: Re: cryptic startup and manual help
To: dkphoto <dkphoto@cyber-wire.com>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/17/2000 14:19:36
On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, dkphoto wrote:

> I just installed netbsd and after finally getting it to start up, I
> noticed this line among the other startup feedback:
>
> 1dev/sd1a: file system not clean (fs_flags=0); please fsck(8)
>

> What the heck does that mean, and what if anything should I do about it?

There is a problem with a file system. See the man page for fsck by
typing "man 8 fsck". That will give you more information on the command.
Basically, you will just want to unmount the file system with the problem
and run fsk on it. For example:

  unmount /users
  fsck /users

> I finally figured out how to edit rc.conf (why not just have it set
> properly to begin with, rather than forcing new users on the very first
> startup to figure out how to edit a system file???)

Because (virtually) every system is different. What you may think are
reasonable values for a default configuration may not be reasonable for
someone else.

> According to the installation instructions, after changing rc.conf, I
> should be able to login as "root." But when I do, the system gives me
>
> Don't login as root, use the su commands.
>
> Now, which is it? The instructions tell me to login as root, the system
> won't let me. Are the instructions out of date, or have I somehow fouled
> up my system?

This message is there to discourage excessive use of the root account.
Sometimes there is a need to login as root (for example, during initial
configuration), but most of the time you do not need to be root to do what
you want (during normal operation).

> command to restart in the shutdown sequence, it doesn't do it. It just
> sits there and does nothing.

If you do a "shutdown -r" it should reboot the machine. If you do a
"shutdown -h" it should bring the system down so that you can manually
reboot or power off the machine.

> Is there any documentation/book that doesn't assume that I've been using

Go to your favorite local bookstore and look for some of the books
published by O'Reilly & Associates. "UNIX in a Nutshell" is a good book,
as are "Managing NFS and NIS" and "Essential System Administration". I'm
sure there are other good books, but those are the ones I use regularly.

> Unix for years and just "forgot" how some things are done? I mean really!
> Instructions that read like, "well, if that happens, it means your
> asret9[p8h2R.agd file needs to be edited, so just go edit it," are
> completely useless. Even if as a new user I can figure out that I need to
> open the asret9[p8h2R.agd file with a text editor, how in the world am I
> supposed to know what and how to edit?

UNIX systems are powerful and complex. You learn how to use these systems
over time, and not over night.

> I mean for crying out loud folks, would the installation manual for a new
> Windows user say something like: "If you have problem x, just go edit the
> auto.exec.bat file"?

Apparently you haven't seen some of the earlier DOS documentation
books. :-)

If you think the documenation can be improved, then do something about
it instead of complaining about it. Re-write what you think needs to
be improved. You can use the the send-pr command to submit a problem
report for the documenation and also include a copy of your new
version. The man page for send-pr describes the operation of command in
more detail.

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens PT&D, Inc.                | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Power Systems Control Division    | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |
| 7225 Northland Drive, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55428   USA            |