Subject: cryptic startup and manual help
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: dkphoto <dkphoto@cyber-wire.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/17/2000 12:55:23
I just installed netbsd and after finally getting it to start up, I
noticed this line among the other startup feedback:

1dev/sd1a: file system not clean (fs_flags=0); please fsck(8)

What the heck does that mean, and what if anything should I do about it?

ALSO:

I finally figured out how to edit rc.conf (why not just have it set
properly to begin with, rather than forcing new users on the very first
startup to figure out how to edit a system file???)

According to the installation instructions, after changing rc.conf, I
should be able to login as "root." But when I do, the system gives me

Don't login as root, use the su commands.

Now, which is it? The instructions tell me to login as root, the system
won't let me. Are the instructions out of date, or have I somehow fouled
up my system?

YET MORE:
When I shutdown bsd, all that happens is that the prompt disappears.
Whatever was on the screen stays there, and I can even input more text to
the screen. It just doesn't respond to commands. Is that what a proper
shutdown looks like, or am I missing something? Also, if I give the
command to restart in the shutdown sequence, it doesn't do it. It just
sits there and does nothing.

LAST:
Is there any documentation/book that doesn't assume that I've been using
Unix for years and just "forgot" how some things are done? I mean really!
Instructions that read like, "well, if that happens, it means your
asret9[p8h2R.agd file needs to be edited, so just go edit it," are
completely useless. Even if as a new user I can figure out that I need to
open the asret9[p8h2R.agd file with a text editor, how in the world am I
supposed to know what and how to edit?

How about something like this instead:

Located in your system at /xxx/yyy/zzz/ is a file named "asret9[p8h2R.agd"
The meaning of this file name is: xxxx.
This file serves the following purposes/provides the following services:
1,2,3,4
The reason you have to edit this file is this: xxxx
If you do not edit this file, this will happen: xxxx
If you do edit this file, this will happen: xxxx
Here is how the file looks now: xxxx
Here is how it needs to look when you have finished editing it: xxxx
Here is what all the senseless gibberish you see in the file means and
what it does: xxxxx (this one is ridiculously important!)
Here is how to edit it: xxxxx
Here is what should happen if you have successfully edited the file: xxxxx
Here is what to do in case of an error: xxxxx

I mean for crying out loud folks, would the installation manual for a new
Windows user say something like: "If you have problem x, just go edit the
auto.exec.bat file"?

There, now I feel better!

David Kachel