Subject: Re: Files-that-are-commands.
To: None <bgrayson@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/17/2000 09:23:44
> > Currently, a portal-filesystem approach seems much better, though it
> > requires super-user manipulation, it isn't portable, and the whole thing
> > really shouldn't involve a TCP connection.
>
>   nope, maybe, and it doesn't.  :)

Gotta love those direct responses.  (^&

>   I added some extensions to mount_portal this summer that allow
> all sorts of wonderful(?) stuff to be done.  If you are running
> anything from before Aug 99, you'll need to download the latest

I am running a 1.4.1 i386 kernel (from around August, shortly before the
uniform 1.4.1 official release, I believe).

>   As an ordinary user, follow this recipe to see what happens:
 [...]

Executed directly:

/usr/home/rkr: /tmp/sig.script
Sig 2

With the portal filesystem:

/usr/home/rkr: cat /tmp/sig/rotatesig
cat: /tmp/sig/rotatesig: No such file or directory

Do I need to run -current?  Or should I rebuild userland (userland is
still 1.4)?  If I need to run -current, will this be in 1.4.2?

Nonetheless, very cool.  (^&

>   So it works, without super-user actions, and it should be
> portable to any OS that supports the portal filesystem (all of
> my rfilter/wfilter changes were purely in userland)
> (unfortunately, it looks like only FreeBSD and OpenBSD also

A mild discomforture.  And, the feature (or facsimile thereof) may be
imported to other systems.

>   Also look at the examples I've written up in
> /usr/share/examples/mount_portal.  There are lots of cool things

_This_ I'm sure doesn't exist in 1.4.1.

I can't tell you how pleased I am to see such a feature.  (It looks like
named pipes can give a good approximation, but _this_ is really how I
think it should be done...for whatever that's worth.)

Thanks for creating the functionality and for pointing it out.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com