Subject: Re: help with Samba
To: Wayne Burgess <wburgess@fun.co.uk>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/14/2000 17:31:04
If a quickstart is what you want, below is enough of an
/etc/samba/smb.conf to get you sharing your home directories, as well as
(for example's sake) a directory called /vol. You'll probably want to do
more tweaking, and maybe add printers, but to get *something* working,
just put this file in place and run "smbd -D; nmbd -D" as root (and put
those commands in rc.local)

[global]
; some default values and optimizations

	browseable = yes
	auto services = homes
	preserve case = yes
	short preserve case = yes
	getwd cache = Yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	read prediction = yes

; Change the next three to suit your environment

	workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
	hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0
	server string = NetBSD (Samba %v)

; set wins support = yes if you want this machine to be a wins server
; (only needed if you have multiple subnets)

	wins support = yes

; *or* set wins server = <wins server ip> if there's already a wins server
;	wins server = 10.0.20.11
; set the next four if you want to assure this machine wins all browse
; master elections.

	preferred master = yes
	local master = yes
	domain master = yes
	os level = 254

; Don't remember why I set this. It used to be the default, and I think
; something stopped working when the default changed, so I set it here.

	security = share

; Set the next two if you want samba turned off on a particular interface
; In my case, I want it on my internal interfaces (10.0.20.11 and 10.0.21.11)
; but *not* on my external interface (cable modem to Internet, not listed).

	interfaces = 10.0.20.11/24 127.0.0.1/8 10.0.21.11/24
	bind interfaces only = yes

[homes]
	writable = yes
	browseable = no